The many museums, exhibition sites, show tours, interpretation centres and guided tours provide an excellent introduction to the discovery of the island. The campsite has selected some ideas for cultural outings to enhance your holiday in Oléron.
La Cité de l'Huître, oyster farming discovery centre
Before setting foot on the island, stop at the Cité de l'Huître in Marennes at the foot of the Oleron viaduct. By following a marked path that winds through the Seudre marsh, between oyster maturing ponds, oyster huts and irrigation channels, you will discover the history of the oyster in the Marennes-Oléron basin and all the little secrets of this jewel in the gastronomic heritage of Charente-Maritime. The programme of the visit (count 2h30): exhibition of old and current oyster farming tools, creative workshops, fun and interactive activities for children, film screenings, loan of bicycles to ride the Chemin des Claires, tasting of cooked oysters... and many other surprises to make the visit immersive!
The Port des Salines Ecomuseum, with the Pôle-Nature label
During your visit to Grand-Village-Plage, make a stop at the Port des Salines eco-museum and its 5 colourful huts to learn more about the heritage of salt and marshes!
During a guided tour of the salt marsh, we explain how a salt marsh works, the history of salt farming on the island of Oléron and the ancestral know-how of the sauniers. You will discover an interpretation trail, thematic exhibitions, fun and educational workshops for children... You can even take a boat trip to observe the fauna and flora of the marsh! At the end of the trail, a tasting of local products will be offered to you.
The Eco-Peasant House of Grand-Village-Plage
La Maison Paysanne is an interpretation centre dedicated to architecture, the organisation of the villages of the Ile d'Oléron and eco-construction. Through an exciting museographic journey, you will learn all about the traditional habitat of Oleron, sustainable development and the energy efficiency of traditional lifestyles.
The Ile d'Oléron Museum in Saint-Pierre d'Oléron
Discover the history of the island of Oleron, from the Neolithic period to the present day! The different rooms of the art and ethnography museum of Saint-Pierre d'Oléron offer a complete overview of the heritage and history of Oléron (saliculture, oyster farming, viticulture, gemmage, fishing...) around a living museography: guided tours, interactive devices, film projections, sound atmospheres... For children: fun activities and discovery trail with a game book to learn while having fun!
The Chassiron lighthouse museum in Saint-Denis d'Oléron
All year round, the [Chassiron Lighthouse] museum area offers a show trail to plunge into the heart of the life of the sailors and peasants of the island of Oleron. You will discover many period objects, models, filmed images and testimonies... The visit lasts about 30 minutes during which you are guided by the story of a young shipwrecked man at the Pointe de Chassiron. Young and old alike will be captivated!
The Oyster farming and Natural site of Fort-Royer
Located south of Boyardville, the Oyster and Natural Site of Fort-Royer is a century-old oyster farming village that lives by the presence of the oyster farmers who work there. Open to the public, the oyster farm organizes guided tours in the oyster parks, workshops for children around [oyster farming], but also hikes in the Nature Reserve of Moëze-Oléron. Campers can end the visit with a tasting of [typical oyster specialties]!
The night guided tours of the summer
In July and August and according to the season's programme proposed by the Tourist Office, you can take part in costumed guided tours to discover the history of the island of Oleron in a playful way. Go to the Citadel of the Château d'Oléron to follow in the footsteps of his Excellency M. de Vauban, at the foot of the Chassiron lighthouse where pirates and shipwreckers await you!
To see, also to do:
- The heritage circuit of [Château d'Oléron]: a walk of 1h30 from the Tourist Office to discover the historic district, the church of Notre Dame de l'Assomption, the citadel, the oyster port and its huts ...
- Le Marais aux Oiseaux (Nature Centre): a park for discovering wild and domestic fauna with an educational vocation in the heart of the Ile d'Oléron (panoramic observatory and natural heritage discovery outings).
- Le Marais des Bris: guided walks, treasure hunts and themed workshops are organised in summer to discover the ecosystem of this unique sensitive natural area on the Atlantic coast.
- The Robert Léglise shipyard in the port of Château d'Oléron where old traditional boats are rehabilitated and will then go sailing in the pertuis...
- Le Moulin des Loges, the only tide mill in the region: guided tours and milling demonstrations.
- Visit of the wine estates of the Ile d'Oléron: the winegrowers open the doors of their exploitation to you and offer you the tasting of Pineau des Charentes, Cognac, liqueurs and "Vin de pays charentais - île d'Oléron".
GRAND-VILLAGE-PLAGE - Port des Salines © CMT17 E. COEFFE-5